My Vision

My vision is to create a healthier world...One person at a time!

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Fall!!

Fall is my favorite time of year!  I love the crisp smell of the air, the beautiful colors, and pumpkins.  During fall and winter, my life is consumed with pumpkins...pumpkin food, pumpkin scents and pumpkin decorations!  I guess you could say I'm a little obsessed, at least that's what my kids say :-)

So keeping with my love of pumpkins, here is a wonderful recipe for pumpkin soup!  Not only is this a trademark in my home during this season, but it's also so good for you!  I know this is crazy, but 1 cup of it is only 77 calories...hard to believe that something that tastes so wonderful could be so good for you!  Here it is....


Ingredients

3/4 cup water, divided
1 small onion, chopped
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
2 cups unsalted vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup fat-free milk
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 green onion top, chopped

Directions

In a large saucepan, heat 1/4 cup water over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Don't let onion dry out.

Add remaining water, pumpkin, broth, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the milk and cook until hot. Don't boil.

Ladle soup into warmed bowls and garnish with black pepper and green onion tops. Serve immediately.

Nutritional analysis per serving

Serving size :About 1 cup
Total carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary fiber 4 g
Sodium 57 mg
Saturated fat Trace
Total fat 1 g
Trans fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1 g
Calories 77
Protein 3 g
Monounsaturated fat 1 g
Sugars 0 g

Try it and give me your feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment